Friday, November 30, 2018

Report From The Other Side

Hey! It's The Blogging Beagle here once again. Yeah, I know it's been a good long while since I last visited these pages.

Truth be told, there wasn't much to report. Life was pretty comfy and pretty cushy. Camping trips, music with my humans, good chow, and the occasional apple or pear core.

Thinking about cake
Life was pretty comfy. Until it wasn't. The last few weeks (months, probably, if truth be told), I haven't been feeling like my old self. Looking back, that decision to eat a pair of underwear was probably not one of my best.

Even before that, though, I felt myself starting to slow down. The neighbor dog wasn't around to chat with, and I had lost some of my love of howling at other dogs. My back legs were starting to bother me, and walks just weren't as enjoyable.

I tried to stay strong and stick around for my main human, especially after he showed how much he loved me by fixing me some chicken breast when he doesn't even eat meat. Talk about getting the good stuff! But even that held only temporary appeal.

A few days ago, I started trying to tell my human it was time for me to move on to the next adventure. It took a while to get the message through since he doesn't speak Beagle very well at times.

He'd let me outside, and I'd do my thing, then come back to the door. I'd look at him and then walk away again. I did this several times, and I think he finally began to get it.4

That was Monday. Tuesday, he decided to take me back to the vet, I'm sure in hopes of some good news. I wasn't too excited about going out, even when he flashed the leash.

Judging from his reaction, I don't think he actually agreed with me that it was time to go until he made the decision. I won't bore you with the details of what happened after that except to say that there was cake! Even though I wasn't much into food at this point, you know I had to try that!

My human was sad, I could tell, but he stayed brave for me, and I'm glad he stayed through it all. He even stayed a while after, in order to make sure I got where I was going.

Speaking of which, I'm not really sure where this is, but I can tell you there are a lot of trees and lots of smells to check out. I think I'm going to like it here.

I've have checked in sooner, but there has been so much to do and see. First, there's the orientation, where they go over the rules. Rule 1: Play nice. Rule 2: Have fun. I think I can handle that.

The only problem with this new place is that they also allow cats. I've never had much use for them before, but I'm learning to adapt. The cats here seem a bit friendlier than I remember cats being, so I'm sure things will work out fine.

The other reason it took me so long to report on this new place was that I wasn't sure how to get this report back to my human so he could share it with you. As I said, sometimes he didn't speak Beagle that well, and he wasn't always the sharpest bone in the yard, if you get what I'm saying.

But he always meant well, and he tried hard to be a good human servant, so I figured I'd eventually be able to get a message through to him. Well, I did, and here it is.

I know he's still hurting a bit, so I wanted to let him know I'm doing fine here, and I'll be waiting for him. We'll have some fun then. Maybe I'll teach him to chase the tennis ball. Won't that be something to see?

Anyway, if you see my human around, maybe say hi or give him a hug from me. I couldn't really ever do that before. My legs were too short.

Well, I guess that about wraps it up from here. It took a lot to get this message through, so I won't be checking in again. Before I go, though, I've got a message for my four-legged brothers and sisters in fur. (Okay, this goes for you cats, too.)

Be good to your humans while you're with them. Most of them are doing the best they can and will likely hurt a while after you're gone. (As for those humans who aren't doing the best they can, they aren't worth peeing on, but go ahead and do it anyway. You'll feel better.)

Make sure you let your humans know that you love them, and make sure they love you back. And remember, beagles are regal. Goodbye until we meet again on the other side. Bark. Bark. Howl.

No comments:

Post a Comment